понедельник, 24 июля 2017 г.

Key to Maintaining Muscle Mass while Marathon Training

Key to Maintaining Muscle Mass while Marathon Training

It’s frequently reported that you can either gain muscle or do distance running, but the two simply can’t be done together. While I fully agree that they can’t be done at the same time, that doesn’t mean distance training has to derail your muscle progress.

Since I’m focused on building a little more muscle this year, I wanted to bring in someone who is doing this so well…Katie of Katie’s Fit Script is here today!


I like to think of myself as a hybrid athlete.


Essentially, that simply means that I both strength train and train for marathons {but hybrid athlete makes me feel super cool so I stick with that}.


I think that this combination is a growing trend (which I’m really excited about) however, it can be looked down upon. In the strength community, “cardio” is made fun of while in marathon training, leg day is forgotten.


I want to explain how I do both, and the tips for maintaining muscle while training for a marathon.


If you are training for a marathon and lose weight most likely some of it is muscle. Let’s put an end to that by first putting on some muscle and then maintaining it.


KEYS TO COMBINE STRENGTH AND RUNNING


Can you build muscle while simultaneously marathon training?”


This is hard and very very hard.


Tips for Maintaining Muscle Mass while training for a marathon - these tips are so key to a strong race and the body you want
Tips for Maintaining Muscle Mass while training for a marathon

I am a HUGE proponent of running and lifting both at the same time, but I just think that it would do distance runners a world of good to temporarily reduce mileage (yes below the average 30+ miles), and focus primarily on building solid muscle.


After you have built more muscle, you will be stronger for your runs to prevent injury, you will most likely be faster, and you will be able to eat more (which is always a winner).


{Amanda’s note: I love a good list of tips and these are so straight forward}


  • The best route cutting body fat is through high intensity interval training
  • That does not mean that you cannot run
  • No day of working out is wasted
  • That doesn’t mean that you have to workout for 3 hours every day
  • It actually means the opposite. It means that every workout that you do must have a purpose.
  • Run no more than 4 days per week
  • Strength train 4 days per week.
  • Take one rest day

MAINTAIN MUSCLE MASS WITH DISTANCE RUNNING


Maintaining that muscle though is totally do-able. I wanted to share my top three tips for fueling yourself because we all know that food=performance.


Tips for Maintaining Muscle Mass while training for a marathon
Tips for Maintaining Muscle Mass while training for a marathon from someone who has done it

1. CARBS

Obviously, this can’t be stressed enough. You need to be diligent that after every single run, you are taking in tons of carbs to refill those glycogen stores.


If you don’t refill them, then after they are emptied out, the next place your body goes is for the muscle. My rule of thumb is to add 50g of carb per hour of running on your long runs (so if you run 2 hours then add 100g carb).

How to fuel your running with whole foods >>


2. BRANCHED CHAIN AMINO ACIDS

Research has shown that these are wonderful for recovery in many different ways, so I make sure to take BCAA’s after a workout. My husband is currently training for an ultra with me and he takes them before and after the runs.


Read more about sports nutrition >>


3. EAT ENOUGH OF THE RIGHT FOOD

I think that many people end up not eating enough, which again means eating away at muscles not just fat. You need to be aware of how much you are putting in, and specifically how much protein and carbs. You’ve got to make sure that you are getting enough and there have been many times that I’m forcing more food at the end of the day sometimes just to make sure that I know I’m properly fueled.

Read more about protein timing for fat loss >>


Hybrid Athlete Katies Fit Script
Hybrid Athlete Katies Fit Script

4. BE SPECIFIC

You shouldn’t do workouts that have no meaning.


Do strength training that makes sense for running. For example, you really don’t have to push sleds or flip tires or kettlebell swing unless you plan on doing those in a competition (CrossFit is a different story).


Every run has a purpose. Your long run purpose is for you to get used to the mileage or you are increasing your endurance, so that’s its purpose. While your week day runs can focus on speed or strength.


This topic just makes me so excited. I want everyone to join! It’s so empowering. I haven’t yet but I hope to continue this tradition to hopefully do a powerlifting competition while training for an ironman. Call me crazy but I think it sounds fun! {Amanda: I’m trying to channel her energy into getting my butt lifting heavier!}


Thanks to Katie for the motivation (do you see her abs?!) and the great information! Make sure you check her out on Instagram, Twitter and on her site.


Have you ever focused just on muscle building?


Do you feel like you lose muscle during marathon training?


Other ways to connect with Amanda


Get new posts via BlogLovin


Original article and pictures take http://www.runtothefinish.com/2015/03/how-to-not-to-lose-muscle-mass-while-marathon-training.html#_a5y_p=3471607 site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий